Friday, February 17, 2017

Will I sleep tonight?

I had the picture of the HW-8 on my computer at work yesterday,  Todd (a co-worker) said, "What's that? A CB radio?" and I informed him that this was a legendary world class CW transceiver from Heathkit formerly of Benton Harbor Michigan.  He said, "Morse Code?" and I informed that yes, this was a Morse Code radio.  He then asked that question..."Why did you buy it?"...I told him because I didn't have one.  As an amateur radio operator it is my mission, my directive to go out and use, try, or buy every radio I do not have in my possession.  It's what I do. 

So tonight, on Hamfest Eve, will I be able to sleep? I have been dreaming of visions of calling CQ on the old girl since Chuck KD9DVB agreed to sell it to me.  The gates open at 7AM and I won't be there until nearly 8AM...but he's holding it for ME! 

So my fellow QRP weirdos, stay tuned, and I promise I will blog my logs in my quest for HW-8 Worked All States!  If you hear me, WORK ME!

de KB9BVN

4 comments:

  1. Oh man you got a nice one ! Looks like its in excellent shape too. I just bookmarked your blog. 73 & GL ! de AL7JK, John FP #222

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John, it's a real nice example. The dial is off a bit but I think I can fix that up pretty quick. It seems very stable for it's age. No RIT, almost no filtering, it's like using a radio the pioneers may have used crossing the prairie. Alaska is going to be a tough one...maybe we can work a sked?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added your callsign to the string of open tabs for the reverse beacon network. Trying to make the most of my limited operating time. Worked K4DJ in NC yesterday at 22 utc on 14114 khz. Grin, your being stalked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John that is great! Thanks. Please add W9ILF to your RBN list as well. Can't wait to get you in the log.

      Delete