Monday, March 11, 2019

Today in QRP

Rev. George Dobbs G3RJV - SK 

In the world of QRP today, we were informed of the passing of Rev. George Dobbs G3RJV early this morning.  George was a QRPers QRPer and was a huge believer in "minimalist radio".  George was the founder of the G-QRP (QRP club of Great Britain) and was the editor of Sprat Magazine for years and years.  The world famous "Sudden Receiver" was designed and built by George in 1989 and is still sold as a kit by QRPme today.  George taught us about "Occum's Razor" and the word "pelf".  A featured speaker at numerous FDIM events in the past, a contributing author/editor to Sprat, and many RSGB publications.   He will be greatly missed.   

Tonight when I got home from work I was treated to an extra hour of daylight thanks to this invention we call Daylight Savings Time.  I was hoping that the 20m band would give me a QSO on my new radio, the 4 States Group Hilltopper 20.  It was not to be. 

Here's my setup, a Hilltopper 20, a set of 18650 batteries, and a Nye Viking Master Key.  I have re-calibrated the tuning so I am right on frequency now, thanks to Dave Benson K1SWL for the calibration assistance. 

Hilltopper 20 and Nye Viking Master Key
I gave out some free CQ's for about 30 minutes and then checked with the Reverse Beacon Network to see if I was even making a dent in the ionosphere.  My Hilltopper 20 can output a solid 5 watts into my attic dipole.  I was not encouraged by what I saw. 

KB9BVN Spots on the Reverse Beacon Network 
Being heard in Arizona, Alberta, and Utah...but measly signal strength getting there.  It's obvious I need to get on the air at a different time of day.  I have been trying in the morning as well between 09:00Z and 09:40Z and not hearing anything.   My friend Ivin W9ILF was able to make a couple nice contacts on Sunday with his 1.5 watt Cub on 20m.  He QSO'd with a station in Washington state and Idaho.  I was not on the air Sunday at all...bad move eh? 

So...back to 40m for this evening and I will en-devour to persevere on 20m tomorrow.  dit dit

Best 73 de KB9BVN





No comments:

Post a Comment