Friday, February 16, 2024

POTA - I finally got to 1000!!!

Well it's been a few months since I blogged and I blame it on the weather, having too many things to get done this winter around the house, and taking care of my wife after her successful surgery.  Turned the page on another birthday, hoping to be retired by this time next year, God willing and the creek don't rise. 

This morning I worked my 1000th different park in the Parks on the Air program.  The next award is at 1500... which seems like a long long way off.  I started in POTA in June of 2020.  Last year I had 15 park activations, which means I took my portable station to 15 different parks, and made at least 10 contacts each outing.  That brings my total up to 33 activations.  My goal this year is to hit 25 parks, and I already knocked one down last weekend. 

My hunting began about a week after my first POTA activation in June 2020.  I am not tearing it up or setting the POTA world on fire.  POTA has over 43,000 registered radio amateurs out there hunting, and activating.  I am BARELY in the top 2500. 

I am very happy to hit this milestone. I am ready to start plotting my other 24 park outings for this year. The Elecraft KX-2 with the AX-1 antenna is working out very well.  I can now carry my entire setup in a padded Lowe bag and it weighs less than 5 lbs.  I can have it setup in less than 5 minutes.  The AX-1 only works 17m and 20m bands, so I still have the Eagle One hitch mounted vertical to work the other bands. 


Glad to have that one in the logbook.  

73 de KB9BVN


No comments:

Post a Comment