Thursday, September 16, 2021

POTA Activation #12

KB9BVN doing POTA

It has been since March 8th 2021 since I have had a successful activation for Parks on the Air. I figured out my coax was shorted in about three places, so I had to throw it away.  It was a fine 50 footer with nice soldered on  PL-259's, it had served me well for about 12 years but I think it got wound up one too many times.  Old age and kinks took it out.  

Anyway the new coax arrived from Amazon this week and I finally got a chance to try it out this evening. 

It was a very nice 79F with bright almost Fall sun beating down on my operating position, it was nice to be at the site and getting ready to work some POTA contacts. 

When I arrived the place was all mine, so I had no worries about bothering anyone trying or wanting to go fishing. 

It didn't stay that way for very long, but that's OK.  I'll be back here again soon. 

POTA ON!

Also I have been working like crazy, and the fishing bug bit me so I have been spending most free evenings trying my hand at catching some fish, as well as teaching some youngsters the joy of landing a big one...but here I am. 

Grandkids and a Nephew - Catching the fishing bug!

This evening I had just about an hour to operate, as you know you need 10 contacts to have a successful validation, tonight I got eleven contacts in just about 60 minutes.  I decided to run down to K-4183 (Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area) and set up near the Italian POW chapel and Stone Arch Lake.  

Chapel Built By WWII Italian POW's held at Camp Atterbury


Welcome to Stone Arch Lake - Free Green Hamshack 

My first contact was EA1AF, David over in Spain.  I was tickled to death to work his 599 signal.  Tonight I was running with the K2 at 10w and my Eagle One vertical deployed on the trailer hitch of my ham mobile.  The next contacts were NQ7R in AZ, K7ULM in MT, and W7MMG in AZ, so the Eagle was definitely getting out on 20m.  Then it got quiet...so I moved to 30m. 

K2 on 20m - About 10w to the Eagle One Vertical

After moving to 30m, I re-spotted myself on the POTA spotting site, and it didn't take long to get the next seven contacts.  Signals were heard from NY, FL(2), VT, QC, TX, and MS.  I was going to drop down to 40m and stay about another half hour but several carloads of young guns showed up and they were wanting to fish, so I decided to pull anchor and head back to the ranch.

At least I know my setup is working again.  I look forward to activating more sites in K-4183.  They have at least a dozen different lakes, ponds, remote hunting areas, and places to check out.  It's not uncommon to see deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and according to the Indiana DNR the Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area is home to over 150 species of birds...not to mention the snakes...which are everywhere.   

DE KB9BVN
Best 73! 

No comments:

Post a Comment