Monday, July 27, 2020

The Pig Out Sprint

The day I had been waiting for finally arrived, Sunday July 26th was the day for the Pig Out Sprint.  This event was quickly put together by the Flying Pigs QRP Club International, and most of the heavy lifting was done by Diz W8DIZ, Paul K4FB (aka WF4FB), and Dan N8IE (aka W8PIG).  So the start time had arrived and I was going to operate outdoors so I could soak up the extra multi's...it was 92F in the shade, and not a breeze in sight.  I was using my K2, LDG Z11 tuner, and my Eagle One vertical mounted on the trailer hitch of my SUV.  Basically my POTA actication station.  By 3:30PM I was getting over heated and decided to shut down, pack up and move back to the house.  I made 5 contacts, the band conditions were dismal, with the A index hovering at 15.  It was a lot of fun though!

Also, today I got my Sapphire Hunter award from POTA, that means I have worked 75 different parks as a Hunter, all CW, and all QRP via my K1 and attic dipole at home.  The Activators must have bionic ears.  I have gotten RSTs from 229 to 599 while working on this one.  I really have to hand it to the guys in the parks for even hearing me.  I stated hunting on 06/23 so it took me right at 32 days to earn this award.  Not bad for QRP CW, if I say so myself. 

75 Parks, all QRP CW - Thanks! 


73 de KB9BVN

No comments:

Post a Comment