Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Field Day 2020 - QRP CW

This year Field Day was really something new. With the COVID-19 issues across the nation, the ARRL made several rules changes and in my opinion, saved the event and made it a lot of fun.  I was pretty busy over the weekend but I did manage to get a few hours in.   Sunday was a big surprise in that 15m was wide open from my QTH to New England.  I was able to log 48 contacts total for my efforts but I also knocked out a few states for my WAS efforts.  I was also able to log a few more Parks on the Air sites as well. 

My station was the Elecraft K2 at 5 watts, into my attic dipole.  I also had a LDG Z11 tuner that used to belong to Phil Wilcox WB8ABE.  Phil, unfortunately, is in hospice care now with Alzheimer's disease.  Best wishes and our prayers go out to his family during these trying times.  Phil proudly served his country in the United States Marine Corps, and worked for Western Electric in Ohio.  Phil loves Field Day, and running QRP CW with the Flying Pigs QRP Club International at our Field Day location in Caesar Creek State Park between Dayton and Cincinnati. 

Phil WB8ABE and I building a Field Day dipole (2005)



Phil and I just chilling...Field Day 2005

We have sure enjoyed some great Field Day gatherings.   This week I got my Eagle One vertical and the hitch mount for my SUV all put together, and I am planning on heading out to two parks this coming Friday, July 3rd.  I hope to activate K-4183 Atterbury Fish and Wildlife again, and then move over to the west and visit K-4215 Morgan-Monroe State Forestry.  I am going to be using my K2, LDG tuner, and the new Eagle One vertical for the maiden voyage.  I hope the weather cooperates, we had rain and storms almost the entire Field Day weekend here. 

One other thing on the POTA front, I have qualified for the next Hunter Certification.  I am now a Silver Level Hunter! 


Well that's it for now, hope to hear you on the air, if you are able, give a listen for KB9BVN on Friday from the parks.  Will likely be working 20, 30, and 40m...go to the POTA spotting website and look for me! 

73 de KB9BVN
Brian 


No comments:

Post a Comment